Wednesday, August 25, 2010
2. Laziness or indifference in religious matters.
The prediction of future events from observations of weather conditions.
A feeling of agitation or anxiety.
2. Having superhuman strength.
Genetically programmed cell death, sometimes called 'cell suicide', which plays an important role in shaping the distinct forms of tissues in living organisms.
Of or pertaining to baths or bathing.
Providing only the illusion of abundance.
1. Specious, deceptive, or oversubtle reasoning, esp. in questions of morality.
2. The application of general ethical principles to particular cases of conscience or conduct.
A. Discreetly cautious.
1. Hesitant and vigilant about dangers and risks.
2. Slow to grant, accept, or expend.
A practice in certain cultures in which the husband of a woman in labor takes to his bed as though he were bearing the child.
No, we aren't talking about drink made from some tropical fruit called a degringol today, nor does this word come from a Spanish slur pertaining to Americans. A degringolade is simply a rapid deterioration, a sudden decline in condition, or a sudden downfall.
A usually Welsh competitive festival of the arts especially in poetry and singing.
1. A gradual disappearance.
2. To dissipate or disappear like vapor.
1. A state of extreme nervousness or restlessness (usually expressed in the plural.)
2. A sudden outpouring of anger, outrage, or a similar intense emotion.
Considering something to be worthless.
Of or pertaining to nature of flowers, having the savour of flowers.
1. Overwhelming and sudden in effect.
2. Pathology. (Of disease) beginning in a sudden and severe form.
3. Striking as with lightning.
1. To flash or dart like lightning.
2. Medicine. To destroy (esp. an abnormal growth) by electricity.
A domestic cat; especially : an old female cat.
Being only partly in existence or operation; especially : imperfectly formed or formulated.
1. The earliest stages or first traces of anything.
2. Extant copies of books produced in the earliest stages (before 1501) of printing from movable type.
A prolonged lamentation or complaint; also : a cautionary or angry harangue.
A nonsensical or paradoxical question to a student for which an answer is demanded, the stress of meditation on the question often being illuminating.
1. Of or relating to a sensory threshold.
2. Barely perceptible.
3. Of, relating to, or being an intermediate state, phase, or condition : in-between, transitional.
Of, relating to, or characterized by faithlessness or disloyalty; treacherous.
Bravado or exaggerated boasting.
1. An apparently free choice when there is no real alternative.
2. The necessity of accepting one of two or more equally objectionable
1. A journey to a more desirable or congenial place.
2. The flight of Muhammad from Mecca to Medina to escape persecution a.d. 622: regarded as the beginning of the Muslim Era.
Relating to the sense of touch; tactile.
The science that deals with the sense of touch.
Worship of the sun.
Being beneath one's dignity: undignified.
Lack of knowledge or awareness; ignorance.
Of or pertaining to a form of marriage in which a person of high rank, as a member of the nobility, marries someone of lower station with the stipulation that neither the low-ranking spouse nor their children, if any, will have any claim to the titles or entailed property of the high-ranking partner.
1. Yawning, as with drowsiness; gaping.
2. Drowsy or inattentive.
3. Dull, lazy, or negligent.
1. The Holy Spirit as a consoler, a comforter.
2. Any person who consoles, comforts, or intercedes for another.
Love of or liking for women (opposite of misogyny.)
1. Agreeably stimulating, interesting, or attractive.
2. Agreeably pungent or sharp in taste or flavor.
3. Of an interestingly provocative or lively character.
Prefatory remarks; specifically: a formal essay or critical discussion serving to introduce and interpret an extended work.
1. Ornate or florid in speech, writing, or general style.
2. Pertaining to a style of painting developed simultaneously with the
rococo in architecture and decoration, characterized chiefly by smallness of scale, delicacy of color, freedom of brushwork, and the selection of playful subjects as thematic material.
To produce the sound as of the beating of a drum.
1. A sound of or as of the beating of a drum.
2. A tattoo, as of a drum, the hooves of a galloping horse, or machine-gun
Growing on rocks (plants), living among rocks (animals), appearing on rocks (everything else).
1. Ragamuffin, a person in dirty, raggedy clothes, usually a child.
1. The first cry of a new-born baby.
2. The cry or wailing of any small child.
1. To touch (a body part) lightly so as to excite the surface nerves and cause uneasiness, laughter, or spasmodic movements.
2. To irritate as if by a nip, pinch, or tear.
3. To move with spasmodic convulsions.
1. Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the evening.
2. Botany. Opening or expanding in the evening, as certain flowers.
3. Zoology. Becoming active in the evening, as bats and owls.
1. Relating to a body part that has become small and lost its use because of
2. Pertaining to, or of the nature of anything that is no longer present or
An expression of comparison comprising a usually well-known quotation
followed by a facetious sequel.
1. To move unsteadily; weave.
2. To deviate temporarily from a straight course, as a ship.
3. (Of a vehicle) to have a motion about the vertical axis.
1. A gentle, mild breeze.
2. Literary. The west wind.
3. Any of various things of fine, light quality.
New feature at POSP...periodic vocabulary list--#1
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment