Monday, April 5, 2010

Rare woods

International Year of Biodiversity


This item retails at $200,000 and made from six different types of rare woods. And it took five months to build. Just one example of a thirst for rare and exotic woods many being plundered from forests throughout the world. Regulation of rare and valuable timber is lax. I remember many years ago when I was building furniture there was a lumber yard in my city [Paxton Lumber Company] that catered to fine woods from every area of the world. Even if I didn't purchase one board foot of lumber, it was always interesting to see rare woods and talk to the sales people. I was talking to one clerk about the high prices of black ebony and he informed me that only one tree may be cut a year and bids were taken on that tree. Now that is forest management.

No comments: