Sunday, February 14, 2010

My First Telescope--Gary Seronik


Like many backyard astronomers, one question I get asked all the time is “When did you get interested in the stars?” The truth is, I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t drawn to the night sky. Maybe part of the reason was that my family lived on an orchard under a splendid, dark rural sky. For me, the stars were as much a part of nature as the birds in the trees and the bugs crawling on the ground.

Unlike most of my astronomy friends, I never had a big “Aha!” moment when I found myself suddenly fascinated with the wonders of the universe. That’s not to say there weren’t some important episodes that remain fresh in memory many decades later - there were plenty. And one memory that stands out with crystalline clarity, even now, is my very first look at the Moon through my first telescope.

A very nice narrative of one person's "first telescope".

Read the rest and enjoy the other features at Gary Seronik's website.

Gary Seronik.com

No comments: