Monday, May 20, 2013

Decades of adventure with Tom Swift


Victor Appleton II's Tom Swift and his Outpost in Space [aka Sky Wheel]

Dustjacket data...

A space station 22,300 miles above the earth is Tom Swift Jr.'s latest project!

Tom's plans for his gigantic hub-and-spoke outpost of the universe calls for twelve laboratories. Solar batteries will be produced in one laboratory, another will be a celestial observatory, and another a radio broadcasting and TV station relaying programs over one third of the earth.

But the project is beset from the start by a fiendish enemy, and also that weird phantom of outer space, Zero Gravity.

Tom comes to grips with the problem of weightlessness by inventing a Zero chamber. Here, in order to master the helpless feeling encountered in space, men are trained to develop a new set of muscular reflexes. Crewmen crawling like flies up and down the walls and across the ceiling of Zero G creates momentary comic relief.

But this is only a prelude to an exciting drama which takes place on a Pacific island, where Tom's rocket fleet is about to blast off. Strange warnings that terrify the natives nearly wreck Tom's plans. How the young scientist overcomes all obstacles and launches his space station makes a gripping book. And each technical detail of this fascinating story has been carefully checked. For those who enjoy the thrill of adventure and the chill of mystery, Outpost In Space is must reading
.

Public domain books


Victor Appleton [Wikipedia]

Tom Swift [Wikipedia]

And those wonderful "Tom Swiftie" phrases [Wikipedia]

Samples...


" I'm an ordained minister," said Tom reverently.

"I've struck oil," Tom said, crudely.


"As soon as the rain stops, we'll break camp," said Tom intently.

"Boy, that sure took the wind out of my sails!" said Tom disgustedly.

"Boy, will I give YOU a haircut!" said Tom barbarously.

"Buy me something to drink?" said Tom dryly.

"Get away from the dynamite," Tom said explosively.

"Give me some more macaroni and cheese, and I'll tell you," said Tom  craftily.

"I'd love some Chinese food," said Tom wantonly.

"I collect fairy tales," said Tom grimly.

"I commanded a group of ships for a week," Tom said fleetingly.

"As my sole heir, you get it all," said Tom willfully.

"I forgot what to buy," Tom said listlessly.

"I hate pies with crumb bases," said Tom crustily.

"I joined the Lion's Club," said Tom pride fully.

"I just returned from Japan," Tom said disoriented.

"I know all the wherefores," said Tom wisely.

"I MUST patch this coat." Tom said raggedly.

"I need a home run hitter," Tom said ruthlessly.

"I need a pencil sharpener," said Tom bluntly.

"I only get Newsweek," said Tom timelessly.

"I still haven't struck oil," said Tom boringly.

"I think I'll use a different font," said Tom boldly.

"I want to date around," said Tom unsteadily.

"I was removed from office," said Tom disappointedly.

"I won the daily double," Tom cried hoarsely.

"I don't like hot dogs," Tom said frankly.

"I'll pay off that customs official," said Tom dutifully.

"I'll try and dig it up for you," Tom said gravely.

"I'm back from my lobotomy,"
said Tom absentmindedly.

"I've made a study of girls," said Tom lassitudinously.

"It's the maid's night off," said Tom helplessly.

"Let's get married," said Tom engagingly.

"Let's visit tombs," said Tom cryptically.

"Look at those newborn kittens," said Tom literally.

"Mush!" Tom said huskily.

"My pencil is dull," said Tom pointlessly.

No comments: