Sunday, April 24, 2011
1. The wearing away of exterior or peripheral material by melting, friction, or burning, as the ablation of a glacier by melting or scraping against rock or the ablation of a burning meteor streaking across the sky.
2. The surgical removal of a body part by excision or amputation.
A divine imparting of knowledge; inspiration.
Being of striking appropriateness and relevance; very applicable; apt.
1. To affirm with confidence; to declare in a positive manner, as in confidence of asserting the truth.
2. (Law) To assert, claim, or declare as a fact.
1. Crab-like, having the features and characteristics or the shape of a crab (cancriform); crooked, bent, moving sideways.
2. Related to crabs.
1. The focus or direction of emotional energy on a single object, idea, or activity.
2. A fixation or obsession.
One who under oath vouches for the character or conduct of an accused person.
Frenzied; agitated; unrestrained.
To link together in a series or chain.
A psychoactive (psychedelic, hallucinogenic) substance used to induce a mystical or spiritual experience.
1. Having the characteristics of both sexes.
2. Effeminate; unmasculine.
3. Sexless; neuter.
4. (Linguistics) Having but one form of the noun for both the male and the female.
1. A person or thing that is epicene.
2. (Linguistics) An epicene word.
To be deliberately ambiguous or unclear in order to mislead or to avoid committing oneself to anything definite.
Being a substitute or imitation, usually an inferior one.
Lasting but a short time, fleeting.
Of a dull brownish yellow, tawny
1. Relating to or characterized by occultism or abstruseness, recondite.
2B. Impervious to external influence.
2C. Recluse, solitary.
-nuhmz or interregna-nuh
1. The interval between two reigns; any period when a state is left without a ruler.
2. A period of freedom from authority or during which government functions are suspended.
3. Any breach of continuity in an order; a lapse or interval in a continuity.
1. To insert new matter between parts of something else.
2. To adulterate or corrupt by adding new, irrelevant matter.
3. (Mathematics) To estimate a value that lies between two other values.
A population of people belonging to one culture under the political domination of another.
1. To assail by criticism, argument, or action.
2. To call in question; dispute.
1. Being, affecting, or relating to qualities (as taste, color, odor, and feel) of a substance (as a food or drug) that stimulate the sense organs.
2. Involving use of the sense organs.
1. Practice, as distinguished from theory; application or use, as of knowledge or skills.
2. Convention, habit, or custom.
3. A set of examples for practice.
PREE-shuns; PREE-shee-uns; PRESH-uns; PRESH-ee-uns; PREE-see-uns; PRES-ee-uns
Knowledge of events before they take place; foresight.
False attribution of authorship.
1. Extending to a great length; unnecessarily long; wordy.
2. Tending to speak or write at excessive length.
Lacking in courage and resolution; contemptibly fearful; cowardly.
1. To regret, to feel sorry about.
2. To repent, to be penitent or do penitence for (now rare).
Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an imaginary place of high romance.
Of or relating to dancing.
To yield or bend obsequiously to the will of another; to act in a subservient manner.
A small wheel or roller; a caster.
1. Veracious, truthful, in perfect alignment with the facts, as a veridical excuse for being late.
2. Verisimilar, seeming to coincide with reality, seemingly real, as a veridical hallucination.
1. The appearance of truth; the quality of seeming to be true.
2. Something that has the appearance of being true or real.
World view, outlook on life, philosophy of life.
A soft lustrous wool fabric with mohair, alpaca, or camel's hair.
Continuing project of POSP's stringer Tim.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment