Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Clumsy or unskillful with both hands.
1. Of a golden color or brilliance.
2. Marked by grandiloquent and rhetorical style.
Something improvised or extemporized.
1. A person's specific area of knowledge, authority, interest, skill, or work.
2. The office or district of a bailiff.
Characterized by triteness or sentimentalism.
Not genuine, spurious, cheaply showy, tawdry.
An irresistible urge, mania.
1. Having changeable lustre, twinkling.
2. (Of a gem, especially a cabochon) displaying a band of light reflected off inclusions of other minerals.
Worthy of being desired.
1. Complex or ingenious in form or function, intricate.
2. Skillful; artistic, ingenious.
3. Rich; adorned with many things.
In India,the practice of exacting justice or compliance with a just demand by sitting and fasting at the doorstep of an offender until death or until the demand is granted.
1. Wildly enthusiastic.
2. Wildly irregular in form.
3. Of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a dithyramb.
1. Brilliance of success, reputation, etc.
2. Showy or elaborate display.
3. Acclamation, acclaim.
1. Having a huge appetite, ravenous.
2. Excessively eager, insatiable.
A slight or invisible exhalation or vapor, especially one that is disagreeable.
1. To suppress, omit, ignore, pass over.
2. To omit (a vowel, consonant, or syllable) in pronunciation.
3. In law, to annul or quash.
1. To remove by the roots, to pull or cut out wholly with all parts.
2. To totally eradicate, to root out all traces of a problem, including all causes leading up to it.
1. A kingfisher.
2. A mythical bird, identified with the kingfisher, that was fabled to nest at sea about the time of the winter solstice and to calm the waves during incubation.
1. Calm, quiet, peaceful, undisturbed, happy, as, "deep, halcyon repose."
2. Marked by peace and prosperity, as, "halcyon years."
A word of the same written form as another but of different meaning, whether pronounced the same way or not.
Of, pertaining to, or occurring in the state of drowsiness preceding sleep.
Smooth, especially having a surface without hairs or projections.
Twilight, dusk, crepulscular, Cemmarian.
To eat gluttonously or ravenously.
1. To add to the visual content of a book by inserting images not included in the original volume, often by mutilating other books.
2. To mutilate books in order to get illustrative material for such a purpose.
1. A complicated and embarrassing state of things.
2. A confused or complicated disagreement or misunderstanding.
3. An intricate, complicated plot, as of a drama or work of fiction.
4. A confused mass, a tangle.
Having or seeming to have no end, especially wearisomely protracted.
A casual gathering of people, especially for refreshments and informal conversation.
1. Fond of and eager for choice food.
2. Greedy, longing.
3. Lustful, lecherous.
1. The act of studying by candlelight, nocturnal study, meditation.
2. That which is composed by night; that which is produced by meditation in retirement, hence (loosely) any literary composition.
1. (Fine Arts) A circle, or disk, or any indication of radiant light around the heads of divinities, saints, and sovereigns, upon medals, pictures, etc., a halo.
2. A cloud or atmosphere (as of romance or glamour) that surrounds a person or thing.
3. (Meteorology) A rain cloud.
1. A medicin of secret composition and unproven or dubious effectiveness, a quack medicine.
2. A usually questionable remedy or scheme; a cure-all.
(Literary) A person who undertakes study late in life, a person who learns late in life (an old dog that can learn new tricks).
Laudatory, having the character of a panegyric.
An encomium, a speech or other creative work of praise.
1. Of or pertaining to love, especially illicit physical love.
2. Of or pertaining to Paphos, an ancient city of Cyprus sacred to Aphrodite.
3. Noting or pertaining to Aphrodite or to her worship or service.
A lover of learning, a scholar.
1. Containing or conferring full power, invested with full power, as, "plenipotentiary license, plenipotentiary ministers."
1. A person invested with full power to transact any business, especially, an ambassador or diplomatic agent with full power to negotiate a treaty or to transact other business.
To depart from or evade the truth, to speak with equivocation.
1. Capable of laughing, disposed to laugh.
2. Exciting or provoking laughter, worthy of laughter, laughable, amusing.
3. Relating to, connected with, or used in laughter, as, "risible muscles."
Inclining to redness, ruddy, red.
1. Conformist, following others in thought and behavior rather than leading.
2. Following a logically consistent direction, as a sequacious argument or line of reasoning.
(Colloquial) Chaotic, disorderly, disorganized.
1. Talking in your sleep, sleep-talking.
2. What you say when you talk in your sleep.
A feeling or sensitivity for language and the correct use of grammar.
1. Showing or having a refined and graceful mind or wit.
2. Light and airy in movement, ethereal.
1. A decisive reply, argument.
2. Something unusually large, heavy, etc.
3. A heavy, finishing blow.
Speaking foolishly, stupidly.
1. The metaphorical technique of naming a specific part when referring to the whole.
2. Naming the whole to indicate a part.
1. To cheat or swindle, as in the traditional shell game known as thimblerig.
1. An act of guarding or protecting.
2. The state of being under a guardian or tutor.
3a. Instruction especially of an individual.
3b. A guiding influence.
1. (Literally) Containing or similar to sulfuric acid or any of the metal sulfates.
2. (Figuratively) Extremely caustic, scathing, filled with rage andabasement, often accompanied by profanity.
1. Green with vegetation, covered with green growth.
3. Lacking experience or sophistication; naive.
1. The quality or state of being changeable, mutability.
2a. An unexpected change or fluctuation.
2b. A difficulty or hardship usually beyond one's control.
1. Cunning or crafty.
2. Of or resembling a fox.
To howl, as a dog or a wolf, to wail as ululating jackals.
Continuing project of POSP's stringer Tim. As usual, he does a fine job selecting cool words.