A gum-bichromate photographic print by Robert de Machey.
These words from POSP stringer Tim won't melt the snow or warm the air, but they will please the mind.
A liking for cats, as by cat fanciers.
1. Lacking art, knowledge, or skill, uncultured.
2a. Made without skill, crude.
2b. Free from artificiality, natural.
3. Free from guile or craft, sincerely simple.
1. Venerable, eminent, an august personage.
2. Inspiring reverence or admiration; of supreme dignity or grandeur, majestic.
Coarsely abusive language.
1. A person given to voluble, empty talk.
2. Nonsense, blather.
1. Something worthless or insignificant>
2. Miserly economizing.
1. Having cognizance; aware (usually followed by of ): He was cognizant of the difficulty.
2. Having legal cognizance.
To make a crackling sound, to make a series of short, sharp noises.
1. To extract the flavor of by boiling.
2. Boil down, concentrate.
1. To make more agreeable; mollify; appease.
2. To sweeten.
1a. [Plural], a state of irritability and tension.
2. An emotional outburst, fit.
Habitually disposed to disobedience and opposition.
Divination by geographic features or by figures or lines.
1. Containing or resembling grit.
2. Courageously persistent, plucky.
3. Having strong qualities of tough uncompromising realism.
A journey especially when undertaken to escape from a dangerous or undesirable situation, exodus.
Extreme chauvinism or nationalism marked especially by a belligerent foreign policy.
1. Any language that is widely used as a means of communication among speakers of other languages.
2. [Initial capital letter] the Italian-Provençal jargon [with elements of Spanish, French, Greek, Arabic, and Turkish] formerly widely used in eastern Mediterranean ports.
Of little value, paltry, also: petty, small-minded.
1. Of or pertaining to rain; rainy.
2. [Geology]. occurring through the action of rain.
Adherence to the highest principles and ideals, uprightness.
1, Causing fear or alarm, formidable.
2. Illustrious, eminent, broadly, worthy of respect.
An act or instance of fighting a shadow or an imaginary enemy.
The faculty or phenomenon of finding valuable or agreeable things not sought for, also: an instance of this.
Slang. sweetheart, darling.
A compensation [as money] given as solace for suffering, loss, or injured feelings.
1. Pleasing to the taste, palatable, a toothsome dish.
2. Pleasing or desirable, as fame or power.
3. Voluptuous, sexually alluring, a toothsome blonde.
An environmental agent or event that provides the stimulus setting or resetting a biological clock of an organism.