Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Holiday season and more words from POSP stringer Tim.
Added or derived from an external source; additional.
1a. Of or relating to an amaranth.
1b. Not fading or dying, immortal.
2. Being dark reddish purple.
1. A minute or microscopic animal, nearly or quite invisible to the naked eye, as an
infusorian or rotifer.
2. Archaic. a tiny animal, as a mouse or fly.
1. Having rings or ringlike bands.
2. Formed of ringlike segments, as an annelid worm.
Something that is foreshadowed by a type or symbol, as a New Testament event prefigured in the Old Testament.
To affirm or declare positively or earnestly.
1. A radiance surrounding the head or the whole figure in the representation of a sacred personage.
2. Any encircling ring of light or color; halo.
3. Astronomy: Corona.
4. Geology: A zone of altered country rock around an igneousintrusion.
1. A woman with considerable scholarly, literary, or intellectual ability or interest.
2. A member of a mid-18th-century London literary circle: Lady Montagu was a celebrated bluestocking.
Good-natured easy friendliness.
kuh-lawr-uh-fey-shuhnt, -lor-, kal-er-uh-
(Of foods) producing heat.
1. A light air that ruffles the surface of the water in irregular patches during a calm.
2, One used by another as a tool, dupe.
3. A hitch knot formed with two eyes for attaching a line to a hook.
An aggregation or continuous network of urban communities.
An error in a printed work discovered after printing and shown with its correction on a separate sheet.
A mysterious spirit or deity often explained as a primeval creator god who antedates the gods of Greek mythology.
Pathology: A constitutional predisposition or tendency, as to a particular disease or affection.
1. Great wickedness>
2. An outrageous or immoral act or offense.
3. Very large size.
4. The quality of great impact or importance.
1. To raise in rank, power, or character.
2. To praise highly, glorify.
Characterized by disputatious and often subtle and specious reasoning.
Lacking intelligence, stupid.
1. A member of a party in any country advocating the acquisition of some region included in another country by reason of cultural, historical, ethnic, racial, or other ties.
2. (Usually initial capital letter) a member of an Italian association that became prominent in 1878, advocating the redemption, or the incorporation into Italy, of certain neighboring regions (Italia irredenta) having a primarily Italian population.
Pertaining to or supporting such a party or its doctrine.
(In Scottish legends) a water spirit, usually having the form of a horse, reputed to cause drownings or to warn those in danger of drowning.
1. A blank space or a missing part, gap, also : deficiency, inadequacy.
2. A small cavity, pit, or discontinuity in an anatomical structure.
A nest or breeding place; especially, a place or substance in an animal or plant where bacteria or other organisms lodge and multiply.
A funeral rite or ceremony.
A miscellaneous collection.
1. A musical, literary, or artistic work that imitates the style of previous work or is made up of selections from different works.
3. A place where something originates, develops, or is located.
1. Having a fantastic or deceptive appearance, as something in a dream or created by the imagination.
2. Having the appearance of an optical illusion, especially one produced by a magic lantern.
3. Changing or shifting, as a scene made up of many elements.
A rogue or vagabond.
1. Invested with full power.
2. Of or relating to a person invested with full power to transact any business.
A politician, especially one experienced in making political deals, exchanging political favors, etc.
1a. Speaking or writing several languages.
1b. Composed of numerous linguistic groups.
2. Containing matter in several languages.
3. Composed of elements from different languages.
4. Widely diverse (as in ethnic or cultural origins).
Sleight of hand, legerdemain.
1. Characterized by the quality of being honest and morally correct.
2. Piously self-righteous.
Being dried and withered.
1. (Of horses) spirited, inclined to shy.
2. (Of women) proud, disdainful.
1. A stew of meat, vegetables, potatoes, etc.
2. A beverage made weak or thin, as watery tea, coffee, or the like.
3. The refuse from processing whale carcasses.
4. A reddish, muddy deposit in mining sluices.
Slang. a clever, unscrupulous person.
1. Philosophy. The theory that only the self exists, or can be proved to exist.
2. Extreme preoccupation with and indulgence of one's feelings, desires, etc., egoistic.
tuh-noo-i-tee, -nyoo-, te
1. Thinness of consistency, rarefied condition.
2. The state of being tenuous.
rawth, roth or, especially Brit., rohth
1. Stormy, violent; turbulent: the wroth sea.
2. Angry, wrathful, (usually used predicatively): He was wroth to see the damage to his home.