Thursday, April 10, 2008

The "truth" is out there?

"An argument ensues between Frasier and Roz, and they retire to the control room to have it out in private. As they do, Glenn -- in the studio all by himself -- begins...completely out of context with anything else that has happened in the show, or with the action now taking place behind him in the control room. As he does so, he does not address any of the characters around him. In fact, he looks directly into the camera, solely addressing the audience at home watching throughout America."

Remember that it was John Glenn who approached the Frasier producers with this episode plot...did he have something to tell mankind? Was this a subtle indictment of NASA? Or was this just pure entertainment?

Frasier

March 6th, 2001


Scene Seven - Radio Booth

Glenn is seated in Frasier's booth, with Roz.

Roz: So let me get this cued up, and we'll be ready to go, O.K.?

Glenn: Sounds great.

She goes into her booth. Frasier comes in behind her.

Roz: Frasier, what are you doing here?

Frasier: Roz, I'm just observing. If you want me to go, I will, but you have to admit this is sort of a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Roz: Fine. But no talking.

Frasier stands very humbly in the corner. Roz sits at her console.

Roz: (through mike) O.K., Senator, we're rolling.

Glenn: O.K. Roz, I have an idea if you're interested.

Roz: Sure.

Glenn: I heard the nicest story, about a Seattle man who took his two sons up on the roof of the house, to try and see my Mercury spacecraft come over.

Roz: I love that!

Glenn: Yeah, well, I thought you'd like that one. And then, if we could get some of the old mission broadcasts, maybe we could use those for background.

Roz: Definitely! You are full of great ideas!

Frasier: (no longer humble) No, I'M full of good ideas!

Roz: Frasier, what are you doing?!

Frasier: Roz, you just agreed to two of my suggestions, which proves your problem is with me and not with them!

Roz: (through the mike) I'm so sorry! (to Frasier) Frasier, get out!

Frasier: Roz, it's all right, the Senator and I are old friends! I took the liberty of running a few irresistible ideas by him so that I could prove my point and let you come clean!

Glenn: That's not what you told me. You used me!

Frasier: I'm sorry, Senator, but-but if I used you it was only as the swift and terrible sword of justice!

Roz: It's terrible, all right! And outrageous! (to Glenn) You said these were your ideas! Why'd you do it, Senator Glenn?

Glenn: I was misled, and-and I feel awful, and-and you know, it's not like me to be that underhanded.

Roz: Oh, it's all right. Frasier, get out of my booth! I am so sorry, Senator Glenn.

Cutting between the two booths:

Glenn: Well, I'm the one that's sorry. It's my nature to be honest, and . . .

Frasier: (speaking over him) Now listen up, Roz, I'm gonna tell you what I did this for.

Glenn: Back in those glory days, I was very uncomfortable when they . . . asked us to say things that I didn't want to say, and deny other things . . .

Roz: I am so mad at you, Frasier!

Frasier: Oh yeah, well I'm mad too, so just bring it on!

Glenn: Some people ask, you know, "were you alone out there?" And we never gave the real answer, and yet we've seen things out there, strange things . . .

Roz: This is my project, and I asked you not to try to take control, and now you've gone behind my back and done just that!

Frasier: But Roz, you didn't even give me a fair shake!

Roz: Well, if I didn't, it was because I was trying to protect myself because you can be so BOSSY sometimes!

Glenn: But we know what we saw out there, and we couldn't really say anything, and the bosses were scared of this, they were afraid of "War of the Worlds" type-stuff, and about panic in the streets, and so we had to keep quiet, and now we only see these things in our - well, in our nightmares, or maybe in-in the movies, and some of them are pretty close to being the truth . . .

Frasier: All right, Roz, I'll admit that maybe I was being a little too assertive, all right? But the least you could do is admit that perhaps you were a bit defensive?

Glenn draws the path of a U.F.O. with his finger, zipping and stopping at one point to another with incredible speed, making whishing noises.


Roz: Well, maybe you're right. But it was because I was trying to prove that I could do this on my own - so I was shutting you out, I admit it, it was unfair, and I apologize.

Frasier: Accepted. Oh Roz, come on, our friendship is much more important to me than this documentary.

Roz: Oh, it is to me too, Frasier!

They hug. Glenn sticks his head in.

Glenn: Uh, look, about what I just said out there, could we just keep that between us?

Roz: Oh, of course, Senator.

Glenn: Good. Well, (notices) oh, wait! You were recording all that?

Roz: Well yeah, but that's O.K., we've got plenty of tape.

Glenn: (stern) I'm gonna need that tape.

He takes it from the machine and goes back into the booth.

Roz: He's a little tightly wound.

Frasier: Looks like maybe somebody should cut back on the old Tang.

Roz: (laughing) That's a good one, Frasier.

Frasier: Thanks, Roz.

Roz puts in a fresh tape and sits down.

Roz: Whenever you're ready, Senator.

Glenn: (reading) "Since the dawn of time, man has gazed
skyward and dreamed of reaching the stars . . ."

No comments: