Thursday, February 16, 2012

Cultural crossover when it comes to commerce


"Japanese philosophy rules Indian ramp"

by

Aditi Caroli

February 16th, 2012

Hindustan Times

Indian fashion being inspired by Japanese philosophy sounds a little absurd. However, designer Anand Kabra made it possible on Day One of the Wills Lifestyle India Fashion Week. Different prints and motifs with zardozi cutwork, beading and dori were used on saris, kurtas and gowns. The colour palette consisted of blue, green, orange, white and black. Cotton, silk, organza, crepe, chiffon and wool were used.

Designer on his collection

“The inspiration was Japanese philosophy which is a cleansing ritual process. What I got of it was new beginnings. I’m proud of the fact that I’m a designer who happens to come out of India. So my muse is Indian women. The clothing which I make is probably which she would wear during all the aspects of her life. She celebrates, works, parties. It’s modern woman versus old world value, a mix of everything. The collection is easy to wear, less fussy”

What is the highpoint of your collection?

“My USP is the way I combine colour. It’s a very Nizami sensibility as I come from Hyderabad. Also, contemporising Indian tradtion.”

Lot of embellishment was seen. You love bling, don’t you?

“It’s not about embellishments. We need to celebrate. Gold and bling is in our DNA. For me, it never goes out of fashion.”

No comments: